Representative Legal Actions
- Successfully defended a gourmet dog product manufacturer client against
a claim of trademark infringement from a domain name owner having a
similar domain name. A federal district court in Birmingham, AL entered
a final judgment in favor of the client dismissing all claims and awarding
the client its attorney's fees of $200k to defend the action.
- Filed a patent infringement action against a friction stir welding
machine manufacturer in federal district court in Huntsville, AL. The
parties settled their disputed claims by entering into a licensing arrangement
under the patents in suit.
- Successfully defended a New Jersey lamp fixture manufacturer in a
copyright infringement action filed in Mobile, AL by obtaining a favorable
settlement at a fraction of the original demand.
- Successfully defended a patent infringement action filed in Birmingham,
AL against a client selling digital sports game cameras by having the
case transferred to a less favorable Texas jurisdiction.
- Successfully defended a residential home designer against a claim
of copyright infringement for the sale of a home design in Birmingham,
- Successfully obtained a federal trademark registration for the Vulcan
statue overlooking Birmingham, AL for the Vulcan Park Foundation by
appealing to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board a final refusal to
register the statue by the U.S. Trademark Office. U.S. Ser. No. 76-579511.
- Successfully obtained a federal trademark registration for the mark
"Colonial Bank" by canceling another bank's pre-existing and
conflicting federal registration for the mark "Colonial Bank USA."
U.S. Reg. Nos. 2,545,610; 2,545,613.
- Successfully responded to letters from Getty Images for a client demanding
back royalties and damages for purported unauthorized uses of copyrighted
- Successfully responded on behalf of client to Patent Troll demand letters regarding U.S. Patents and Application Nos: 7,986,426; 7,477,410; 6,771,381; 6,185,590; Appl. No. 13/182,857 (referred to as the Klein Patents or KPL Patents).